Simply put, theft occurs when one person illegally takes something that does not belong to him or her. However, there are a variety of legal distinctions between different kinds of theft, and different terms that may be applied to each case. This can cause a legal case to become a bit more complicated.
If you or someone you know has been accused of theft, it is extremely important to know exactly what the charges mean. An experienced attorney can make sure that all information is communicated clearly and that your rights are protected. Call the Appleton criminal defense attorneys of Kohler Hart Powell, SC at 888-565-7597.
Types of Theft
Depending on the nature of the crime, there are many different types of theft with which a person may be charged:
- Shoplifting is theft from a retail establishment.
- Burglary is theft accompanied by trespassing.
- Embezzlement is theft of assets with which you have been trusted (often business-related).
- Robbery is theft achieved through the use of violence, threat of violence, or other intimidation techniques.
- Fraud is deception for illegal, personal gain.
Each of these types of theft may encompass many other sub-categories of offenses; the sentences accompanying a guilty verdict can vary widely. A good legal counselor will be able to help you understand your situation, rights, and options.
Regardless of the type of theft with which you have been charged, the representation provided by a good defense attorney is an invaluable resource in assuring your rights are well-protected. Contact the Appleton criminal defense attorneys of Kohler Hart Powell, SC, SC by calling 888-565-7597 today.