Wisconsin Drug Laws
Throughout the United States there are federal and state programs which exist to combat the use, sale and trafficking of illegal drugs. In the state of Wisconsin, a number of laws exist to support this effort. It is important to know the drug laws of your local governance in order to protect yourself and your freedoms.
If you or someone you care about has been accused of a drug crime, it is important you seek the assistance of a legal professional. The Appleton criminal defense lawyers of Kohler Hart Powell, SC have the experience you need on your side as you fight the charges brought against you. Contact our office today at 888-565-7597 to learn more about your options.
Drug Possession Laws in Wisconsin
There are a number of laws in the state of Wisconsin that are related to drug possession. For first time offenders the general possession laws include:
- Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor requiring up to 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.
- Possession of cocaine is a misdemeanor requiring up to 1 year in jail and a $5000 fine.
- Possession of acid is a misdemeanor requiring up to 1 year in jail and a $5000 fine.
- Possession of heroin is a felony requiring up to 3.5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.
- Possession of methamphetamine is a misdemeanor requiring up to 1 year in jail and a $5000 fine.
These are the general punishments following a conviction of drug possession. Many cases will have differing repercussions depending on the amount of the illegal substance in possession, the location of the arrest, the accused person’s history, and other factors.
If you have been arrested and accused of committing a drug-related crime, you have a right to legal counsel. The Appleton criminal defense attorneys of Kohler Hart Powell, SC can give you the support you need and the assistance you deserve as you fight for your freedoms. Contact our office at 888-565-7597 to get started on your defense case today.